– Reduces that tummy: Regular running can increase your body’s capacity to use fat as a fuel by as much as 30%.
– Gets the heart beating: The heart of a runner working at around 70% oftheir maximum aerobic capacity will beat around 9,000 times in an hour,pumping 25-30 litres of blood around the body each minute. A resting heart averages 5 litres per minute.
– Strenghtens thigh bones: One study found bone density in the thighbone (femur) was 5% higher in runners than in non-runners, and 8% higherthan in completely sedentary people.
– Improves hearing: Research from Miami University shows that aerobicfitness is associated with better hearing, probably due to enhanced bloodflow to the middle ear.
– Makes you brainy: A study from Nihon Fukushi University in Japanrevealed that young people scored consistently better on mental tests aftertaking up running.
[tags]benefits of running, runners, cardiovascular, heart rate, running[/tags]