Gym Rat – someone who spends all leisure time playing sports or working out in a gymnasium or health spa [source: dictionary.com]
Being a gym member is great and works out well for millions of people. However, do you go as much as you could? Would you like to go more often or at least make the most of your time when you’re there so that you at least get your money’s worth?
Signing up to your local gym can be a great motivating factor but it is easy to fall into a rut and stop going. Being a gym member can actually turn into another poor excuse because you may use it as a way to procrastinate since you know that you can pick up and go again anytime you want.
Not going to the gym is a big waste of money. There may be several reasons why you’ve stopped going but you can turn yourself around and make the gym a fun place and start making it worth your time and money.
- Skip the Crowds – After awhile, it can be come frustrating when you get to the gym at peak times and have to wait around for machines and equipment. If you are already an early riser, get there an hour or two earlier in the mornings or wait an hour or so later in the evenings to avoid the crowds.
- Use Every Piece of Equipment at Least Once – It is easy to fall into the rut of using the same machines or equipment every time you go. This can quickly lead to boredom. Take advantage of your gym membership and use every single machine at least once. You are paying to use them and you may discover machines that you want to add to your routines.
- Take Every Class at Least Once – Most gyms offer spin classes and various cardio classes. Sign up and try each one. They add variety and you begin to make new friends as you see the regulars at each class.
- Sample a Personal Trainer – Most big gyms will offer a free session with a personal trainer to try and upsell you on purchasing more sessions. Take advantage of the free sessions, ask everything you can, and if you like the trainer, purchase a few more sessions.
- Use the Amenities – Does your gym have a sauna, pool, raquetball courts, basketball courts or other amenities? Take advantage of them at least once a week.
- Create a Circuit – If you go at a time when the crowds are low, create a circuit routine and mix cardio and weight machines. This will make the time fly, it is challenging, fun, and you can change up your circuit as often as you like.