I am no where near a 100% healthy eater. There are people who are and then there are those who do their best and try to substitute for healthier options whenever possible. There are four cravings I get often. They include foods that are salty, spicy, sweet, and fizzy.
My biggest weaknesses are desserts and salty snacks like potato chips. Every now and then I still want a soda but I rarely ever drink them. Below are a list of healthier alternatives I like to eat when those cravings kick in.
- Sunflower seeds: The shelled, salted ones are great for me when I need to overcome the salty craving.
- Baked plantain chips: These are excellent when you want that crunch that potato chips or similar snack provides.
- Edamame: These are also good when sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt.
- Popcorn: You can flavor popcorn with your favorite spices. Just avoid all the butter.
- Homemade salsa: This is so easy to make. Just dice up some onions, tomatoes, and of course jalapenos for the spice.
- Hummus: This is easy to spice up and delicious. I use it to dip raw vegetables in when I want to snack.
- Shakeology: You may have noticed I have ads for this particular product on the blog. Not only do I resell it, I drink it daily. It is a healthy snack that takes care of my chocolate cravings very well. It also makes a great recovery drink and helps with weight loss if you choose to use it that way.
- Fruit: Simple yet effective when I have a sweet tooth. I usually chop up some fruit and mix with Fage yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Izze Sparkling Natural Soda: I stay away from soda but when I do want something fizzy, I’ll reach for these. They are made from fruit juice and sparkling water.
What are some snack alternatives that you enjoy?