Now that I have started the intermediate level of Turbulence Training and combine Insanity on my off days, I knew I had to work on my diet next. I don’t consider myself a terrible eater but I could really stand to clean up my act. The working out is really fun for me and it became a habit for me years ago. However, my eating habits were something I never really pushed myself too hard on. Now that the summer is approaching and it will be officially beach season soon, I figured I can take this opportunity to make healthy eating a habit just like exercise.
Years ago when I was a couch potato, and proud of it, something inside of me just clicked and I started to go to the gym on a regular basis. I work out at home now but the habit stayed with me. The same has happened with my desire to want to eat better. Something clicked inside of me. I guess you can call it finally being fed up, the same way I got fed up with living a sedentary lifestyle.
My diet plan isn’t anything out of the ordinary and I’m not following any particular “diet.” I am just making much better choices and I feel a difference already.
My Current Plan
First of all, even though it may sound cliché, I had to get my mindset right. I had to do that to quit drinking soda. I read up on a lot of negatives about soda consumption, stopped keeping it in stock in the fridge, and kicked the habit. Now I’m doing the same thing when faced with the tempation of processed food. I still have a weakness for burgers and pizza so here is my solution:
- Eat breakfast – I would eat breakfast off and on and now my typical breakfast is egg whites, vegetables, and 2 turkey or veggie sausage links.
- Light lunch – What I mean by light is no white bread, white dough, etc. Usually a salad consisting of a protein and dressed with lemon/olive oil.
- Snack – Typically Greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit or fruit by itself.
- Basic dinner – Protein, vegetables, sometimes potatoes.
- Dessert – I drink Shakeology as my daily multivitamin and as a very healthy dessert. It’s like having a chocolate milkshake every day and I don’t mind that at all.
- Saturday – I splurge on a burger, pizza, Thai food, etc., from a favorite restaurant.
This method of eating may be considered slow-carb, low-carb, clean eating, etc., and it probably is to some effect. I will have a follow-up post which will describe how I have been able to stick to this new healthy eating plan.