I’m still going strong with my healthy eating lifestyle and one of the changes I implemented was eating breakfast every day. I was never a consistent breakfast eater. I would usually skip it and when I did eat it, it was usually oatmeal or cereal. Now I eat it every morning and it is almost always egg whites, some vegetable (spinach or broccoli), and some protein (leftover steak, turkey bacon, etc.)
I have noticed a few changes just by eating breakfast daily:
1. Sets the tone for the day – When I eat a healthy breakfast, the rest of my meal choices are easier to make. Before when I’d eat cereal or worse, a muffin or other high calorie so-called “breakfast” item, I would make worse meal decisions later because my mentality was, “well, I ate crap for breakfast, may as well eat what I want now.”
2. Fueled for my workouts – I feel my workouts go a lot better because I’m not hungry and tired. When I would skip breakfast and workout, there would be times I’d quit early because I wanted to eat. Then I’d eat a lot more because I was starving. Some people like working out on an empty stomach. I have done both and I feel eating a decent breakfast (if you work out in the mornings) helps me get through my workout.
3. Metabolism has kicked in – I used to think that skipping breakfast wasn’t a big deal. After all, the less calories you eat, the more weight you will lose. Wrong. This is what would happen to me when skipping breakfast:
- Eat a huge lunch because I was starving
- Lunch would consist of bread or pasta (large servings)
- I’d want to nap after lunch (extremely sleepy – what a call a foma – food coma)
- Dinner would be full of bread or pasta carbs too
I was actually eating more calories and getting my calories from the wrong types of food. I do believe my metabolism is working much better. In fact, I feel like I eat more because I include healthy snacks in between my main meals. Now, I finally see weight loss and feel smaller too. I still need to take measurements.
Another huge reason I’d skip breakfast was because I felt it was a hassle to make. Just like anything else, it has become a habit. If you are pressed for time in the mornings, prep your breakfast so it’s easy to make in the morning. If you own a microwave, you can easily have breakfast done in 3 minutes.
Are you a breakfast eater? Do you skip it?