What good is all the wealth in the world if you’re too sick to enjoy it. Good health is a priceless gift and if you knew how many health benefits come with good posture, you’d give more thought to the way you sit and stand. Certainly, when you’re sitting and standing with your body aligned, then it means that all the organs in your body can work properly.
Just one or two of the health benefits you can enjoy with good posture include –
- Improved breathing because your lungs can open and expand in your chest
- Back and neck pain is drastically reduced. With good posture, your spine is able to support your body’s weight.
- Improving your posture can go a long way to fixing back pain problems.
Good back posture is about maintaining a neutral spine with the head held up straight.
There are many ways to improve your posture. When you’re sitting, a good kneeling chair (read reviews here) can do wonders to straighten your back and naturally enforce good posture. When you’re upright, one of the best posture enhancing routines you can do is yoga.
There are many postures in yoga that strengthen the muscles of the back in a gentle way. In fact, both back and abdominal muscles are important components of the muscular network of the spine so as to maintain proper upright posture.
We look at 5 yoga poses to improve posture
This yoga pose is mostly referred to as a bow pose. It’s a back-bend, an excellent back strengthener that can help with getting rid of those unattractive rounded shoulders.
- Lie flat on the stomach and bend the knees
- Reach back and take hold of your ankles
- As the chest pushes forward, the back arches and thighs lift off of the floor. The body resembles a bow.
Doing this pose regularly will help to keep your spine flexible.
Known as Peacock Pose, Mayurasana will strengthen your abdominal muscles and strengthen the back torso.
- Sit on heels, knees wide apart
- Place hands on floor, fingers towards your body
- Bend elbows, pressing them towards your abdomen
- Stretch legs out with upper part of feet facing the floor
- Shift body weight forward, lifting legs off the floor, allowing your body to be lifted with the weight on the hands
- Hold pose for 10 seconds
Known as the Wheel Pose, this yoga move strengthens muscles in the back. It is great for offering flexibility to the spine. Good posture and relief from back pain requires the strengthening of spinal- and abdominal muscles.
- Lie down on your back, feet apart and bend knees
- Bring palms under your shoulders
- Lift shoulders and elbow into the floor
- Lift your hips up, and allow your spine to resemble a wheel
- Straighten out arms and legs so hips and chest are pushed up
- Hold pose for up to 30 seconds
Known as the Plow Pose, Halasana can assist with achieving a healthy posture as it strengthens the neck, shoulders, abs and back muscles as well as toning the legs.
- Lie flat on your back, arms beside your body, palms facing downwards
- Lift feet off the ground at a 90° angle
- Using your hands to support your hips and back, raise them off the floor
- Sweep legs at an 180° over your head till your toes reach the floor, keeping back perpendicular to ground
- Hold pose for a minute
Back problems and poor posture? The Camel Pose has a host of health benefits to improve posture and assist with other health issues. This back-bending yoga move brings flexibility in abdomen and neck, strengthens the back muscles and reduces fat in the stomach area. Excellent also for relieving lower back ache.
- Sit on knees, hands on hips, and bend backwards
- Hold right ankle with right hand and left ankle with left hand
- Bend neck and head back, pushing the waist area slightly forward
- Hold position for up to 10 seconds and return to original position by bending forward
The correct body posture can make you look more confident and more attractive and that’s important. It opens up the way for success – a good job, good relationships and an overall good feeling about yourself.
A sedentary lifestyle and poor posture can lead to a host of health problems, but yoga can bring awareness. Good posture is about being aware of your body.
With these amazing yoga moves mentioned above, you won’t only benefit from excellent posture where you stand straight and tummy in, the bonus part is that you’ll have a balanced approach to life as well.