Most of us are used to lifting dumbbells, barbells, and even a medicine ball once in awhile. What about flipping tires, slosh pipe training, or tossing a sandbag around? Using these types of objects for training is not only fun but it can be very beneficial to the body.
Benefits of Lifting Odd Objects
1. One of the big benefits is that lifting odd objects causes us to use muscles we don’t usually use in a regular workout.
2. Because of the unbalance, you get a different workout every time.
3. Excellent core workout as you work your abs, lower back, and hips. Great for people who don’t like boring core exercises (crunches, sit-ups.)
4. Using more muscles to lift odd objects means more calories burned.
5. Helps to prevent injuries in real world activities because of the functional training.
Unlike huge tires or atlas stones, sandbags are cheap and easy to get. Most hardware stores carry sandbags for really cheap. All it takes is buying one and filling with sand. If you want to get fancy, you can get specialty sandbags that are durable and are also easier to control in terms of the amount of weight you add.
There are also a variety of sandbag workouts that can be done. View the videos below for examples:
What do you think? Are you a fan of lifting odd objects such as a sandbag?