This is a guest post by PJ Stahl.
Ahh, New Year’s resolutions … remember those? If you’ve forgotten what you pledged to do way back in January or need some motivation to keep going now that the luster of the New Year has worn off, here are three ways to re-energize your workout and your mindset!
- Set mini-goals: Many of us give up on resolutions because they’re too overwhelming and it takes a long time to see results and changes. Instead, break down your fitness resolution into 3 MINI-GOALS that will keep you focused through to the end! Setting realistic attainable goals will keep you on track and striving to reach the next step to your success. This 3-step goal process will also initiate sustainable healthy living patterns that will be maintained, rather than something drastic that will only last a couple weeks. So get out your calendar and set 3 MINI-GOALS for the remaining three quarters of the year!
- Cross-train without fitness: This may sound strange, but it really works. Instead of always focusing on the fitness and nutrition side of things, take an inventory of what “activity choices” you are currently making that are keeping you from achieving your resolution. Instead of setting some extreme and unrealistic goal of “going to the gym every day,” set an activity or distraction that will replace your unhealthy habit with something non-fitness related. For example, instead of meeting your friends at a bar or fast food restaurant, how about starting a weekly healthy food potluck? These small changes will slowly create a healthier, more sustainable lifestyle that will help you reach your resolution sooner than you think!
- Variety is key to success: There is nothing more boring than doing the same routine every time you go to the gym. To keep you on track for your resolution and give your body the calorie-burning burst it needs, try varying your workout by following one of these tips:
- Try a fitness class
- Try a workout DVD
- Workout with a friend
- Hire a trainer to teach you a workout that you can do on your own
- Do a workout outdoors
- Do a workout at a different fitness center or gym
Remember: the point is to develop sustainable, healthy habits for life. Don’t beat yourself up if you let your resolutions fall by the wayside or if you need to revise the big goals you made in January. Give these tips a try and have a successful spring!
About the author: Fitness Expert PJ Stahl, MA, CSCS, provides an elite level of service ranging from Fitness Consulting to Educational Seminars, Television Personality Appearances, and Elite Personal Training. His limitless knowledge and understanding of exercise physiology and creating results-oriented programs has made his services in demand from professional athletes to models, actors, and musicians. PJ is currently appearing as Ruby Gettinger’s featured Personal Trainer on Style Network’s number one reality series “Ruby” and has been a Fitness Consultant for Reebok, GAIAM, Sport Shake, and Core Performance, to name just a few. Learn more at