Bodyweight squats are one of my favorite exercises besides the push-up and lunges. I'm always glad when I pull a squat card out of my FitDeck Bodyweight pile. I feel like I have good form when I perform a squat but I wanted to double check and found a good video demonstration of what good form should look like when performing a squat. Without proper form, you could easily injure yourself. When you have bad form doing a squat you could also feel pain in your knees which isn't a good sign. If done properly, the benefits of bodyweight squats include:
Hip & Strength Mobility
Why is this important? Well, as we get older, we lose the strength and mobility in our hips. This can become an issue when we're much older. Maintaining our hip and mobility strength is important for daily activities such as sitting down and getting up, climbing stairs, walking, and running.
Strengthen Your Knees
When using incorrect form, you may feel pain in your knees from performing squats, however, when done properly you can actually strengthen your knees.
Proper Squat Form
So how do you get started with proper bodyweight squat form? The following video outlines these guidelines:
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart
- Position toes in a forward or a slightly turned out position, making sure that your thighs and knees are are lined up over the midline of the foot
- Stand tall. Chest up and out. Shoulders down and back with a neutral spine
- Head neutral - look straight ahead
- Cross arms and place hands on the opposite shoulders, pointing the elbows straight ahead
What do you think? Do you utilize squats in your workouts?
Sale Price: $14.00
You save: $0.39 (3%)