HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a form of exercise in which you burn fat in short, intense workouts. You can perform intervals with just about any workout. For example, if you're running, you can sprint hard for about 15 seconds and then jog or walk for 10 seconds, repeating the cycle 3 to 4 times or however many you can do. Other HIIT workouts can be done with bodyweight workouts as well.
A sample workout could consist of a warm-up followed by:
- Jumping jacks
- Stationary lunges
These bodyweight exercises could be done for 15-20 reps. The entire routine can be repeated 3-4 times.
Another HIIT method is the Tabata Method. This works by performing 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest. This is repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). [Source: HIIT]
Why I Like HIIT
I like using interval training for a few main reasons:
1. You get more done in less time - Most workouts last for about 30-45 minutes.
2. You burn more fat - From what I've read, the fat burn lasts long after the workout is complete.
3. Boredom is not a problem - There are so many exercises you can do with your bodyweight or free weights. The chances of getting bored are slim.
4. Doesn't require much - You don't need a ton of equipment. Your bodyweight is typically fine enough but you can also incorporate free weights.
5. Can be done almost anywhere - You can workout at home, in the park, at the beach - where there is enough space, you can use HIIT.
Two great interval training programs that you may consider:
- Insanity™ - 60-Day Total-Body Conditioning Program
- Turbo Fire® - 12-Week Intense Cardio Conditioning Program
Are you a fan of HIIT?
Sale Price: $54.99
You save: $64.93 (54%)